Sunday, January 1, 2012

Me


My friends Dave and Betsy Kurtz approached me with a tantalizing proposition early in the year: let’s flip a house. We found the perfect candidate—cheap, sturdy, in need of lots of work—at 401 N. Martha St., Angola. Hence the house got a name: Martha.

The work took longer than anticipated, and our profit wasn’t what we first projected, but still, it was a successful project. We turned Martha’s keys over to new owners early in July.

Immediately, the girls and I took off on a dream vacation: Ocracoke, Island, off the East Coast of North Carolina. Our friend, Philip Howard (who dates our neighborhood friend, Lou Ann Homan) put us up in his house. The trip was a whirl of ghost walks, history talks, music, shows every night, and swimming in the ocean.

We learned what a Tropical Depression is (a storm with enough force to destroy a tent). My most intriguing discovery was the multitude of life inside sand. After a wave receded, we’d dig our hands into the wet sand and we’d feel the wriggle of tiny crabs and other creatures. We also walked at night on the beach with a flashlight and saw crabs that would scoot away from us with thrilling speed.

I continue to do studio artwork and caricaturing. Recently I built a new art cart, which replaces the wheeled case and easel I’ve used for 20 years.

I’ve started my first novel for adults. I’ve got about 70 pages so far. And, since I have a little time this week, I began renovating the kitchen.

There’s probably a lot more, but I’m to the age where, if I don’t remember it, it must not be important. Lots of love. Have a great 2012!


Photo caption: You might think I'm aping our Halloween Jack-O-Lantern in this photo, but actually I just sat on the carving knife.

Lee, MacKenzie, Morgan and Avrie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Saur Family,
    Well, that was a great way to start off the New Year. The write-ups were great. So, Happy New Year to my crazy, fun neighbors. (Did you hang up your Office calendar??)
    When I get home the fun will really begin!!
    Lou Ann

    ReplyDelete