I mentioned class rank in her sister’s blurbs in building up to Avrie. She currently ranks number 1 in her Angola Middle School class. I am strongly of the opinion that she benefits from her sisters’ serious approach to studying, the mistakes they’ve made, plus their help with her studies.
I’m proud of Avrie’s rank, but also concerned. With leading status comes pressure. Avrie is forever enlisting one of us to help her study. The nights before tests, she doesn’t sleep well. I never thought I’d do this as a parent, but recently I tried very hard to talk her out of studying for the spelling bee. And we’ve had a few talks about weighing the benefits of class rank versus enjoying school.
It’s kind of like the Packers: You don’t mind if they lose a game once in a while to relieve the pressure of being perfect.
But I shouldn’t exaggerate the situation. No one who knows Avrie would describe her as perfect, nor as driven, nor as an overworked child. She breezes along on her sisters’ tailwinds, talking and joking all the while.
Avrie plays trumpet in the school band. She is thrilled with every noise that comes out of her (inside joke) and often plays a new song for me while I’m cooking in the kitchen—a fact that convinces me trumpets were intended to be outdoor instruments.
All three girls are big readers. Avrie especially. She enjoys reading aloud, which I encourage her to do while I’m cooking, especially if it takes time away from the trumpet.
Avrie tried out for the middle school basketball team. I don’t think any kid got more enjoyment out of a sport than she. She practiced on her own. At scrimmages, she was the most involved, cheering every basket. She hustled. Her only flaw was that she wasn’t quite sure if she was on offense or defense, so she tended to guard her opponent on both ends of the floor. Still, in one scrimmage, she got a rebound and put in the follow-up shot.
It was a sad, traumatic day when she got cut from the team. Avrie was inconsolable until we reminded her of the Angola Sauer Family Motto: Suck with Dignity. The motto has served her sisters well in tennis and me in my career. After a good cry, Avrie was herself again and glad to have more time after school.
Photo caption: Avrie shows off some of what we found in the sand on Ocracoke Island.
No comments:
Post a Comment