
Morgie continues to march to her own drummer. She recently came home and said she wanted to be on the high school swim team. This was a surprise to me. Not only did I not know that Morgie was interested in competitive swimming (or any kind of swimming, for that matter), but I did not know the high school had a team.
Swim meets are fun. There’s a heightened teenage excitement, probably due to roiled water and tight-fitting suits. Morgie competes in the beginner’s heats, but she often wins or comes in second.
Morgie also marched in the band this fall and continues to play her saxophone at basketball games. I don’t detect that band plays as big a part of her life as it does for MacKenzie, but neither did Morgie have as an emotional first year in band as her older sister.
Morgie went to her first high school dance recently, a semi-formal. I don’t know a lot about it other than that there was anxiety about picking out a dress beforehand, and on the actual day, there were lots of whirling skirts, time spent in the bathroom, and strange teenagers I’m pretty sure weren’t mine.
Morgie is near the top of her class. I can’t say for certain where she ranks, because I don’t know. And I don’t think she knows. If I didn’t ask, I would never hear a word from Morgan about school. Her typical answer is, “It’s fine.” But I hear from other sources (such as teachers) that she is doing extremely well.
Morgie may not take much notice of school because she seems to have a wide range of interests. She draws incredibly detailed cartoons. She’s my best helper by far around the house. (In fact, sometimes I feel as if Morgie and I are indentured servants of MacKenzie and Avrie.) Morgie is the family leader in decorating and planning meals. She jogs and does exercises on her own. She keeps everyone laughing. (That’s what she said.) She is simply, a self contained, complex person.
Photo caption: Morgie had a big year. She got contacts and a cell phone this year. For this photo, from the semi-prom, she got a new dress and hairdo.
No comments:
Post a Comment